Update on the Surrey Six trial



The Vancouver Sun, the Vancouver Province and the Surrey Leader are reporting that there has been a delay in the Surrey Six trial. Pretrial is still going on and because it is taking so long the actual trial won’t start until September. It was originally scheduled for May 6. So here’s the deal. I know we’ve talked a lot about the Surrey Six as that event created a public outrage that continues to this day and was what got me started on my website and blog. Nevertheless, I’m not going to be covering the trial so Wake me up when September ends.

I know everyone wants to know what’s going on with that case and I know I have rightfully expressed many concerns about over reaching publication bans. I don’t want to do anything that will in any way have an adverse effect on that trial. Publication bans are painful but since this trial has been split into three, four if you count the RCMP misconduct, then anything said in court at this trial could bias one of the other trials. For that reason I don’t see the publication ban being lifted until all of those trials run their full course. That doesn’t mean people can’t go and attend the trial or pretrial for themselves. We just can’t publish any evidence that might affect any of those other trials or taint a potential jury pool.

I will still be blogging about the Hells Angels violent control of the drug trade in Canada, as that is a huge concern. I firmly believe in protecting the identity of witnesses. Anyone who testifies in that trial is a hero. The rats are the ones who profited from that murder.

Comments