SQ investigates double homicide in Vaudreuil-Dorion linked to biker gang

A police dog chases a ball as Sûreté Du Québec officers investigate the scene of a double homicide in a field in Vaudreuil-Dorion, Dec. 2, 2016. Phil Carpenter / Montreal Gazette

Police on Friday confirmed that one of the two victims of a double homicide carried out in a quiet residential neighbourhood in Vaudreuil-Dorion was a man who had recently been described as a full-fledged member of the Rock Machine biker gang.
The Sûreté du Québec confirmed the identity of Joseph Fluet, 45, of Laval, while its investigators and crime scene technicians continued an extensive search for evidence into how he and another man ended up mortally wounded on a property on Montée d’Alstonvale near Moffat St. The other victim, described as a man in his 40s, has yet to be officially identified.
SQ spokesperson Sgt. Ingrid Asselin said police were called to the area early Thursday afternoon after receiving a call about a man who was lying injured in an open field behind two homes on Montée d’Alstonvale. The first police officers to arrive tried to help the man and he was taken to a hospital where he died a short while later.
The officers searched the immediate area for a suspect and secured the crime scene for the investigation. Hours later a second injured man was found in an area further away from the roadway. He also was in critical condition and died after being taken to a hospital.
As of late Friday afternoon, no arrests had been made.
Fluet was alleged to be a full-patch member of the Rock Machine in 2014 while the SQ investigated allegations that people tied to the gang had threatened a businessman in Blainville. Fluet was charged with uttering threats, in April 2014, and entered a guilty plea only three months later. He received a two-year prison term that expired in July but, as part of the same sentence, he was still on probation when he was killed.
The Rock Machine was once part of an alliance of organized crime groups that waged a bloody war with the Hells Angels in Quebec between 1994 and 2002. In 1999, many Rock Machine members agreed to join the Bandidos, a much larger gang with international reach and chapters all over the world. Near the end of 2000, the Rock Machine’s chapters were “patched over” by the Bandidos. At the time police assumed the Rock Machine’s patches would disappear forever. However, according to the gang’s website, the Rock Machine was resurrected in Canada in 2007, one year after eight men tied to the Bandidos, including a Montrealer named Jamie Flanz, were killed in April 2006 in Ontario in a slaughter organized by a former president of a Bandidos chapter.
“By 2007, due in part to a heinous tragedy in Sheddon, Ont., in 2006, the Canadian Brothers feeling betrayed decided to go back to (their) roots and proper home. In early 2008 the Rock Machine was once again the talk of Canada and all the brothers were home again,” the gang states on its website.
Police in the Montreal area began noticing people wearing the gang’s patches in bars around 2012.
Ghislain Côté, a resident of the neighbourhood where Fluet and the other man were killed, said it was disturbing to find out it happened close to where he walks and jogs.
“It is even more worrisome to find out (the link to biker gangs),” said the father of two teenagers who has resided in the area for a decade.

A police dog chases a ball as Sûreté Du Québec officers investigate the scene of a double homicide in a field in Vaudreuil-Dorion, Dec. 2, 2016.
Sûreté du Québec officers investigate the scene of a double homicide in a field
in Vaudreuil-Dorion, Dec. 2, 2016, after two gunshot victims died in hospital Thursday.
Phil Carpenter / Montreal Gazette

Ariane Neal, a mother of three young children, said her family’s daily routine was disturbed by the sounds of police helicopters hovering close to their home on Thursday.
“The police didn’t inform us that something dangerous had happened so I let my seven-year-old son take the dog for a walk (Thursday afternoon),” Neal said, adding she found out from a neighbour, hours after the first victim was found, that someone had been shot near their home.
“That’s when we locked all our doors and freaked out a little bit.”