THE CONCEPT OF BROTHERHOOD





THE CONCEPT OF BROTHERHOOD IS DEEPLY ROOTED in the common experience of those in the MC-World. Yet, from my experience, it seems that many new "BIKERS" in the MC-World NOT fully understand the implications of such a concept.



Based on discussions I have had with some former Brothers, brotherhood is viewed from the perspective of “What are you willing to do for me?” I see it used also as an excuse to avoid personal accountability and duty. Worse, I have even witnessed it being interpreted as a pass to behave badly.

It is as if we are expected to forgive any sin and allow any dishonor simply because we are brothers in a cause. The new definition of brotherhood seems to have become, “Anything goes if you are a brother.” It has come to be akin to honor-among-thieves morality. Traditionally, brotherhood, as it was taught to me, signified what I was willing to do for my brother. It was a solemn oath to face danger and fear and even give my life, if necessary, for my brother.

It was not a matter of receiving but a matter of giving. It was not a matter of avoiding personal accountability. It was a matter of accepting responsibility. It was not a matter of being forgiven any sin. It was a matter of avoiding sin and living up to the standards of honor required to be a member of the brotherhood. There was a stark difference between whether I was liked, or even loved, and my actions. I knew I would always have the love and support of my brothers. I also knew that I would never be allowed to dishonor them by my actions and be allowed to continue in their company.

I was required to embrace and live specific values and ethics if I was to have the honor of being a brother. It was never a matter of entitlement based on employment or association. The erosion of values and ethics I see in this new definition of brotherhood is personally and professionally insulting to me. Ethics are important. The definition of  Leadership - when one or more persons engage with others in such a way that leaders and followers raise one another to higher levels of motivation and morality. Subscribing to this concept necessitates that I, as the President of my former Club, raised my brothers to a higher purpose. What better purpose is there than promoting ethical conduct?

The military has long understood the importance of the concept of brotherhood or brothers-in-arms. The fire service also has recognized the practicality of the concept as it relates to its mission. It is often said that the devil is in the details. The details in this case are defining a noble meaning of brotherhood and implementing the concept in a way that leads people to a higher purpose. It is a matter of values-based leadership.



KNOWING WITHOUT UNDERSTANDING

It is easy to find casual references to brotherhood in the MC-World, but there doesn’t seem to be any serious study or understanding of the fraternal model and its ties to the familial organization. Our institutional knowledge tells us we are members of a special brotherhood, yet there is no universal definition of the term.

We seem to have little real knowledge of the subject. We also have not made the connection between ethics as a component of brotherhood and the larger issue of the social construct as it relates to all of its components. Knowing that we are brothers without really understanding what it means is the precise reason the term is so abused. My thoughts on this subject have evolved from a perspective of “they do not have it right” to “none of us really knows what it means” or “how to use this powerful emotional tool for good.” Accordingly, I have defined my model of brotherhood and it´s use as a tool to teach and instill the component of ethics in my former MC-Club as a President.



BROTHERHOOD AS A SOCIAL CONSTRUCT

Brotherhood is a group of individuals connected by mission. In the MC-World, this mission is to RIDE OUR BIKES TO BE FREE.

  • The Club has a history. The history is a shared experience. In the MC-World, this is evidenced by many traditions. We have a wealth of significant traditions that enhance the Club or Brothers mentality and our value of kinship.

  • We have a close physical relationship with each other. We live, eat, sleep, ride and live in our second home, the CLUBHOUSE.

  • We are together by choice. We have to go through a rigorous process to be chosen for the Club, and many of us had to try for years to be accepted. 





  • We expect loyalty to each other and to the Club.



  • World - MC & Gjengkriminalitet - BJ, TBM USA.









    Comments