Man granted bail over attempted shooting murder of Mongols bikie Rocco Curra

One of the 16 men charged over the attempted hit on Mongols bikie Rocco Curra will be released from custody ahead of a potential trial.

Mr Curra was shot four times in a hail of bullets in Melbourne’s northeast on August 1, 2019 when he arrived for what he thought was a date with a woman he met on social media.

Poiva Sita, one of several men anti-bikie police have charged over the alleged attempted murder, was granted bail on Friday.

Police previously released CCTV of Rocco Curra’s shooting in Bulleen.
Police previously released CCTV of Rocco Curra’s shooting in Bulleen.

Mr Sita, 30, appeared before Melbourne Magistrates Court, which heard his mother had offered to put up her modest life savings to secure his liberty.

Magistrate Charlie Rozencwajg did not impose the offered $10,000 surety when determining the Hampton Park man’s bail application but he must abide by various conditions.

Mr Sita, believed to be a member of the Finks, faces a charge of attempted murder over Mr Curro’s shooting at Bulleen.

He is also charged with two counts of intentionally causing serious injury and recklessly causing serious injury, respectively.

Shooting victim Rocco Curra. Picture: Channel 7
Shooting victim Rocco Curra. Picture: Channel 7

Mr Curra, a known Mongols member, had arrived at the scene of his ambush under the impression he was meeting with a woman he’d been chatting to on Instagram.

Police allege the woman never existed and he had been lured to the location by enemies.

CCTV footage of the alleged hit attempt shows two men jump out of a silver BMW and open fire on Mr Curra as he sat in his car.

Police say at least 12 shots were unloaded from two guns, with four bullets hitting the target in the head and torso.

Surgeons later removed a bullet from Mr Curro’s brain.

The car of Rocco Curra sitting in a Bulleen street.
The car of Rocco Curra sitting in a Bulleen street.

Mr Sita was arrested alongside three other men in bikie-busting Echo Taskforce raids in October and had been remanded in custody since.

He has now been bailed to live at Hampton Park and must not leave Victoria or contact any of his co-accused or potential prosecution witnesses.

He has also been banned from contacting or associating with any members, nominees or prospects of outlaw motorcycle gangs while on bail.

Reading out a list of Mr Sita’s bail conditions, Mr Rozencwajg asked the accused if he understood his obligations while at liberty.

“Yes, Your Highness,” he replied.

Mr Rozencwajg said he was minded to release Mr Sita because of expected delays in the court proceedings and what he described as “triable issues” in the case.

His matter will return to court for a committal hearing on February 2.

Australia - BNN.